A partial archive of https://score.community/ as of Monday March 04, 2024.

Gothenburg presentation and contacts

klantto

Presentation kommer här.

Eric Jeanson from Göteborg meet Amsterdam stad
:

Frans Anton Vermast, Amsterdam Smart City

Melanie August de Meijer, Gemeente Amsterdam, CTO Office Innovatieteam

Wietse Balster, Gemeente Amsterdam, Amsterdam 3D

Go to know for Jacco

GWF_Virtual_Gothenburg_videoincl_190403.pdf (6.8 MB)

klantto

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericjeansson

evdoxia.kouraki

Great!

@Jaccobrouwer do you have any updates from Amsterdam regarding the 3D city model idea that you can share with us? Is there interest?
Have you been in contact with people from Amsterdam city that Kim mentioned above?

Best
/Eva

klantto

@evdoxia.kouraki and @Jaccobrouwer

I talked to Eric and he said he has the right connections and information he needs from Amsterdam and did not see that he had time for another meeting right now. Does Amsterdam feel the need to connect and how about @Mikkel Aarhus?
I know it could be hard to get the Buy-In sometimes so we might need to help them.

Adrian

Visiting Rotterdam for potential European project “SPIRIT”, interesting people & presentations leading to what could be a very interesting project. Potential model that could help with the SCORE 3D city challenge open source and data http://3drotterdam.nl/#/. Bradford are very interested in any progress. @klantto @evdoxia.kouraki @sydsimpson @phezoj @Mikkel

klantto

@Jaccobrouwer Have you seen this?

Adrian

@Jaccobrouwer @klantto @sydsimpson @phezoj. OK the silence is deafening :slight_smile:. It would be great to get an update and I have another question. Are you using any open source software to ‘convert’ point cloud data to a mesh? What success are you having if you are using open source?

Adrian

@Hein Hello Hein,
I’m not sure if you are aware of this challenge but is this something that the City of Amsterdam is still interested in :thinking:.

I’m just working on the report for SCORE and we have spent some time, in very basic terms, investigating the opportunities and technical difficulties internally with the creation, visualisation and storage of a 3D model and how we might integrate it with BIM.

Bradford is still very keen to pursue this as a challenge, including purchasing the 3D model through SCORE, making it open source to citizens, stake holders and free to use by commercial organisations. The challenge/solution would be how we make all of this possible as open data or investigate a solution to make the 3D model available in may formats :thinking:

Please let me know your thoughts and many thanks @Adrian

@klantto @evdoxia.kouraki @phezoj @sydsimpson @chrise68 @h.niesing

Hein

@AdrianHi Adrian,

By all means we are! I’ll reach out to the 3D team.

This week we heard news of some positive developments regarding 3D in a joint setup with other cities.

So this might just be the right moment to pursue some of our SCORE goals too.

I’ll be in touch

Best,

@Hein

···

Van: Adrian Walker via SCORE community [mailto:noreply@score.community]
Verzonden: donderdag 6 februari 2020 13:07
Aan: Wils, Hein
Onderwerp: [SCORE community] [Solution Working Groups/3D model of the city / 3D Canvas] Gothenburg presentation and contacts

Adrian
Adrian Walker

February 6

@Hein Hello Hein,

I’m not sure if you are aware of this challenge but is this something that the City of Amsterdam is still interested in
:thinking:.

I’m just working on the report for SCORE and we have spent some time, in very basic terms, investigating the opportunities and technical difficulties internally with the creation, visualisation and storage of a 3D model and how we
might integrate it with BIM.

Bradford is still very keen to pursue this as a challenge, including purchasing the 3D model through SCORE, making it open source to citizens, stake holders and free to use by commercial organisations.
The challenge/solution would be how we make all of this possible as open data or investigate a solution to make the 3D model available in may formats
:thinking:

Please let me know your thoughts and many thanks
@Adrian

@klantto
@evdoxia.kouraki
@phezoj
@sydsimpson
@chrise68
@h.niesing

Visit Topic or reply to
this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails,
click here

Adrian

@Hein Hello again Hein. That’s excellent news :grinning::+1: please keep us informed perhaps we could also propose some city to city learning.

Inske

Hello everyone,

We from Amsterdam Data Science are also very keen to follow the developments on this. There might be some interesting opportunity here for us to apply our AI algorithms for combining the different data sources. I believe @brynskov has some some interesting contacts in Helsinki that worked on developing the Helsinki 3D models (which are available as open data here: https://www.hel.fi/helsinki/en/administration/information/general/3d/3d). What is interesting there is that they have 2 types of 3D models, namely a semantic city information model and a visually high-quality reality mesh model. Could be interesting to learn from their experience as well?

@Adrian @Hein @klantto @evdoxia.kouraki @phezoj @sydsimpson @chrise68 @h.niesing

kimsovso

Hi all

Not sure if this fits the 3D thoughts already going on - but I just wanted to introduce some thoughts form City of Aarhus into this stream :slight_smile:

We from City of Aarhus are also working on 3D city models in different ways. My own department is currently gearing up to create a dynamic “digital twin” of the city based on a Unity model of the city centre.

In this “twin” we envision to build in dynamic visualisation of data collected in the urban space allowing for citizens to discover IoT and data in the urban space by navigating the 3D model.

We also want to insert “live” updated assets e.g. our light rail based on GPS or the rail time table.

Furthermore we want the 3D model to reflect larger events, e.g. the upcoming Volvo Ocean Race event taking place in and near the harbor (display ships based on GPS data, event facilities such as tents, food trucks etc.

And we even have a concept/prototype for a “mini game” platform using the 3D model as a platform to launch mini games while the player is physically in the urban space.

We want to release as much as this as possible as open source (currently not sure about the licensing aspects though when using Unity - but we’re working on clarifying that).

Regards,
Kim

Adrian

@kimsovso that sounds really exciting and it would be great to work together given your high ambitions :slight_smile:

evdoxia.kouraki

Hello everyone!

Some news from Gothenburg related to this topic!

The Swedish innovation agency “Vinnova” have recently announced a grand and long-term investment into a Chalmers based competence centre that will lead the development of a digital twin model. The project started in January 2020!

This new competence center is led by Chalmers University of Technology but there are several actors involved from public, private sector and academia. Johanneberg Science Park is part of the center also.

Research Areas of the competence center

Digital Twin Cities will involve researchers from many different areas of research as well as industry partners and organisations from the civil sector, and the activities will be divided into following areas:

• Digital Twin PlatformUrban Planning and Design
  • Architectural and Structural Design
  • Digital Construction
  • Modelling & Simulation at the District Level
  • Modelling and simulation at the City Level
  • Visualisation & Auralisation
  • Data Management & Integration

The preparations for the new competence centre have already started and Digital Twin Cities is planned to be operative in January 2020

Some information in English can be found below:

https://www.chalmers.se/en/departments/ace/news/Pages/Digital-Twins-will-revolutionise-urban-development.aspx

A teaser video can be found below:

@Adrian @kimsovso @Inske @Hein

/ Eva

Adrian

SEK 100 million is an eye watering £8 million I’m not sure @chrise68 can afford it :rofl: Looks good :grinning:

Adrian

Hello everyone,
I hope you are all keeping well and staying safe :slight_smile:

After the virtual Hamburg meeting I was really enthused (thank you Hamburg :slight_smile:) and I wanted to see what I could create for Bradford municipality. Since then I’ve spent quite a lot of time creating a model (image below).

The model is quite extensive but I’ve just clipped a section here. I hope to share the interactive version with you once I’ve purchased the trees dataset that I’ve used to make the model look a bit more realistic :slight_smile:

I’ve also gone on to investigate how we could potentially visualise Air Quality in 3D. Its a bit rough and ready and needs some thought but my 1st impressions is that it has some value. Again I would like to share this with you interactively once I have permission. Any feedback would be really appreciated.

So I have a question, well actually I want to have a discussion :slight_smile:. With the help of @phezoj and @sydsimpson we have created this 3D model at no cost. Well when I say at no cost, the building footprints, their heights and the ground model are from the national mapping agency agreement; which the municipality can use at no cost. The trees dataset will be approx. £1,800 (but the trees dataset will be used throughout the municipality for many purposes). But lets be clear all this data is then copyrighted and cannot be shared as open data.

So lets say “for the sake of argument” that there is a nill cost and the municipality can use the 3D model wherever it likes so long as its for municipality purposes.

For the same area as in the image below we would have to pay (I’m just working with the University of Bradford on a specification and a quote) to create a model as open data. I’m not sure what the actual cost will be but for the Gothenburg project mentioned above, SEK 100 million is an eye watering £8 million (presuming I have understood correctly).

So the question/debate - How do we justify the investment? Particularly in the times of austerity?

claus

Hi @Adrian, impressive!

I’m not the most experienced with this topic, but here is my two cents.

It’s a bit dated, but I like this blog post as a reminder about the risks and costs of open data. That being said, I’m guessing the work you are looking at would be more in line with the what the ODI frames as ‘data as infrastructure’.

My main reflection would be whether we are the right people to ask. It seems to me this might make for a great citizen/market consultation in Bradford. Something along the lines of “Here is a sneak peak of the model. If this was open data, what would/could you do with it?”

Perhaps on the citizen/student side something more lightweight and speculative about reimagining the city and how people in Bradford may/could/would potentially benefit, and on the local business side something about how it could be valuable to their business/create new opportunities?

If you as a municipality can already access all the data, then the possible business case for making it open data will be with others outside the municipality?

klantto

i second that!
The Gothenburg model har gotten money from vinnova and others pursue this work. Politicians has given us funding as well from the presentations on what it can and will bring the citien, the visiter and the companies.

Adrian

Thank you @claus and @klantto I really appreciate the feedback. @claus I’ll investigate the links :slight_smile: