A partial archive of https://score.community/ as of Monday March 04, 2024.

IoT Registry Working group discussion board

claus

Hi all,

Here some suggested discussion points for the call next week.

• How will partners develop an overview of the (common) data sets? Will you use the survey provided by University of Bradford to document all your related data sets, or will there be a prior discussion to determine a specific subset of data to start with?

• What open source IoT registries can be built on/reused for this working group?

• What are the first steps to allowing a similar solution to work in all partner cities? Ie specifying common standards for your APIs or building a translator on top of the APIs?

Look forward to hearing from you then!

claus

Hi community,

This morning we had a call with Amsterdam, Aarhus, the University of Bradford and Hamburg for the IoT registry working group.

Amsterdam wants to map iot devices (sensors, cameras, etc) in public space and show what data they produce. They want to be able to disclose this metadata to the general public/local businesses. They want to build a proof of concept for this particular use case. They are also keen to explore additional opportunities that an IoT registry can offer.

Aarhus is currently experimenting with various iot registries (incl eg w/ the fiware orion context broker and sentilo) for different use cases. The University of Bradford identified an iot registry would most likely also be part of the water visualisation challenge.

Next steps
Amsterdam will a share a link with more info on the community, and host a call to go through the proof of concept (ready in ±8 weeks) for the other partners to review, evaluate and provide feedback.

brynskov

Good stuff. Note that SynchroniCity has as one of its themes a “Community Policy Suite”, which is essentially supporting Agile Governance based on an IoT asset (data and hardware) catalogue and IoT Data Marketplace. There’s money to be had for pilots along these lines, deploying services, led by SMEs, across cities, so essentially the transnational perspective. Only difference is that the call requires the pilots to be led by a company, but cities can get resources to do all the things you describe, up to 60k (out of a max of 300k per pilot). Open call launches June 1st – in case you hadn’t heard. :wink:

···

Martin Brynskov, Ph.D.

Associate professor, interaction technologies

Aarhus University

Chair, Open & Agile Smart Cities // oascities.org

Research director, AU Smart Cities // smartcities.au.dk

Director, Digital Design Lab // ddlab.dk

Participatory IT Centre // Digital Urban Living // CAVI

Tel. (+45) 3068 0424

More info: http://au.dk/en/brynskov@cavi

On 29 May 2018, at 15.13, Claus Mullie noreply@score.community wrote:

c.mullie

Claus Mullie

May 29
Hi community,

This morning we had a call with Amsterdam, Aarhus, the University of Bradford and Hamburg for the IoT registry working group.

Amsterdam wants to map iot devices (sensors, cameras, etc) in public space and show what data they produce. They want to be able to disclose this metadata to the general public/local businesses. They want to build a proof of concept for this particular use case. They are also keen to explore additional opportunities that an IoT registry can offer.

Aarhus is currently experimenting with various iot registries (incl eg w/ the fiware orion context broker and sentilo) for different use cases. The University of Bradford identified an iot registry would most likely also be part of the water visualisation challenge.

Next steps

Amsterdam will a share a link with more info on the community, and host a call to go through the proof of concept (ready in ±8 weeks) for the other partners to review, evaluate and provide feedback.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails,
click here

Jaccobrouwer

… Does any of you have a link to a website in which you’re publishing IoT devices for your city (can also be an external site) or is it possible to provide a dataset which contains meta data of IoT devices?

I Spoke with our developer this morning and he convinced me that It would real simple for us/him to extend our PoC with data from either Aberdeen, Aarhus, Hamburg or Bradford and that we could do so before the IoT week. That would be quite neat if we can pull that off.

Jaccobrouwer

Aarhus! … how about this dataset, is that a good example we can use?

Mikkel

Hi @Jaccobrouwer,

yes, I believe that would fit the bill nicely. The sensors in question are situated between DOKK1 (our new city library and all-round culture center) and Navitas (engineering / university / incubator hotspot). Datasets are lux (light), støj (noise), temperature and fugtighed (moisture).

Google translation:

Data is retrieved from sensors located between Dokk1 and Navitas.The resources consist of measurements for the respective sizes at the specified time in UTC. However, the times are rounded down to the nearest 5 minute period and if there are several measurements from the period the value is an average.There are data from August 18, 2016 with the exception of the period from November 22 to December 6, 2016, where no data has been collected.Upload takes place every 15 minutes.

It looks as if the data are not updated at the moment, but I have asked the data set owner to verify that this is the correct data set and the correct URL, and that data are indeed updated regularly.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Mikkel

Jaccobrouwer

We saw that the dataset mainly contains information that is provided by the devices itself. Is there also Metadata available of these devices? stuff like location, type of device etc.

···

Mikkel
Mikkel Folke Olsen

May 30

Hi @Jaccobrouwer,

yes, I believe that would fit the bill nicely. The sensors in question are situated between DOKK1 (** our new city library and all-round culture center**) and Navitas (** engineering / university / incubator hotspot**). Datasets are lux (light), støj (noise), temperature and fugtighed (moisture).

Google translation:

Data is retrieved from sensors located between Dokk1 and Navitas.The resources consist of measurements for the respective sizes at the specified time in UTC. However, the times are rounded down to the nearest 5 minute period and if there are several measurements from the period the value is an average.There are data from August 18, 2016 with the exception of the period from November 22 to December 6, 2016, where no data has been collected.Upload takes place every 15 minutes.

It looks as if the data are not updated at the moment, but I have asked the data set owner to verify that this is the correct data set and the correct URL, and that data are indeed updated regularly.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask

Cheers,

Mikkel

In Reply To

Jaccobrouwer

May 30

Aarhus! … how about this dataset, is that a good example we can use?

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails,
click here

Mikkel

Hi again @Jaccobrouwer,

I’ll ask the data set owner, and let you know, okay?

Cheers,
Mikkel

sydsimpson

Hi Jacco,
Bradford doesn’t have any devices currently in operation. We had a proof of concept regarding water level sensors.
The data is available from Data Mill North, but I’m not sure it’s what you’re looking for at the moment.

https://datamillnorth.org/dataset/bradford-flood-network

claus

@dhaval would any of the data sets the partners submitted be useable here? I checked the shared drive but couldn’t locate the form responses.

Jaccobrouwer

IoT_datamodel.pdf (48.3 KB)

Jaccobrouwer

In the previous post, you’ll find the (simple) datamodel that we use for the IoT devices that we want to make visible on a map.

Jaccobrouwer

I promised to plan an ‘Online Demo’, we will do so for sure. But until that time I’d like to share our work so far.

https://amsterdam.github.io/iot/#/home

Mikkel

Hi @Jaccobrouwer et al,

I’ve now had several exchanges with the owner of this particular dataset. The data set is valid, and is updated regularly, so that is as it should be.

However, the sensors in question ‘only’ transmits the aforementioned sensor data, and does not transmit sensor metadata, eg. what project they are part of, who are the sensor owners, what are the sensor placements, etc. I don’t know if that is the case for sensors in general, but in this case we lack automatically broadcast sensor meta data.

If there is anything else I can be of help with, please let me know.

Cheers,
Mikkel

dhaval

Yes likely - let me have a detailed look early next week and I shall update. thanks

Jaccobrouwer

Form the Amsterdam side we’ve made an update on the IoT register progress. Next week we’re starting further development and we’ll have an update on the PoC soon. Keep you posted!

Minutes on AMS IoT progress.pdf (140.7 KB)

h.niesing

Fellow SCORE members,

We have made progress on the public IoT register and this small update is meant to inform you about the steps we’ve taken so far.

Thursday the 20th of September we will give an internal demo of the MVP so far to the participating business partners.

Next week we will be publishing the register for internal use only.

We will do our best to provide a demo for the SCORE partners end September/beginning October, we will get back to you on that to see if this is possible at this time-frame.

We will also prepare a demo/update for the SCORE partners interested in and committed to this solution for our get together in Ghent.

We would like to take decisions about the uptake in SCORE of this solution.

The first release of the register will be available without:

Function for uploading IoT devices by companies or civilians

Mail function will be released somewhere in October

The register contains some test data. The business partners will be working on delivering data for the register from October and a trail period will start later this year.

Regards,

Jacco Brouwer

Accountmanager City Data

timvanachte

@Jaccobrouwer took the lead in the call today, as announced earlier by @h.niesing he demoed the updated IoT registry tool at https://slimmeapparaten.amsterdam.nl/

Participants were @Jaccobrouwer @Mikkel @nicole.schubbe and myself @timvanachte

I made some notes and am sharing them below for your information, to give you an idea about a couple of items that were discussed.

IoT registry seen as an extension of data portal, a more user friendly visualisation of IoT data (geospatial visualisation rather than static tables)
What’s in it for the involved public service providers and what’s in it for the general public?
From citizen and other user groups’ perspective, the registry as a service should reflect the situation in reality in the best way possible
Various collaboration models possible with data providers, trying to combine a variety of public service sources, cities would benefit from sharing best practices in terms of agreements
Data formatting / cleaning / unifying processes for incoming data
Piloting the tool for use cases eg. more in depth citizen use cases, crowdsourcing, add owned sensors, validation and trustworthiness of data
Amsterdam provides 800.000 panoramic images https://blog.mapillary.com/community/2017/06/28/amsterdam-in-360-from-imagery-to-map-data-in-seven-days.html
Denmark provided open data set of pictures of houses (do you have more information, @Mikkel)
GPS location or postal address, best way to describe where smart device is located, best practices from open data experts? National vs. international standard approaches?
How to deal with the Z axys on 2D maps? eg. sensors under water level, different building floors

claus

@JoranVD - something that could link in to Gent’s ambition to make your data portal a central hub for internal and external use?

Mikkel

Hi Jacco and Tim,

Thanks a lot for the very interesting demo and talk, and thanks for the nice write-up of the meeting :slight_smile:

The open data set of aerial pictures I referred to is a the new service from the Danish national “Kortforsyningen” (Map Supply) that provides one vertical and four oblique pictures of every point in Denmark: https://skraafoto.kortforsyningen.dk/